Thursday, January 6, 2011

Jan 3-7: Endangered Animal Presentations & Make-Up Work

Ok, ok... I know I've been a bad blogger this last month. It's been a little crazy.

For those of you who don't know - I'm expecting our first baby this April, and found out on Christmas that it's a GIRL!!! Many of your students have been very "helpful" in picking out names for our baby girl. I hope they aren't too disappointed should I decide not to use "Scooby."

Last month we finished up our ecology unit. Students did a lot of research on an endangered species, and wrote a persuasive paper about whether or not to protect it. I hope they learned something about human impacts on the environment and how complicated it can be when we try to make changes concerning the use of habitats.

We took our ecology final just before Christmas, and I was very pleased with how almost everyone did. Every class had an average score in the B range, which is awesome! As a reward, we made ice cream on the last day of class before Christmas Break (a mess, but very fun).

This week we've been busy giving short presentations about the animal that they researched. Soon we will be getting rid of all our ecology stuff and we'll soon start on geology topics.

As a note to parents - I'm offering extra credit to students who can help me with some lab supplies. I have some great activities planned, but getting the materials can be costly. Spreading out the cost among about 100 students makes the burden much easier. So here's what I need within the next few weeks:
  • Chocolate, white, and butterscotch chips 
  • Fun sized candy bars (not solid chocolate or peanut butter cups - things like Snickers, Kit Kat, etc., something with stuff inside).
Thank you for your support!

No comments: